I have been a bit all over the place recently. Tulum, Mexico the week before last, Kure Beach, NC this past weekend and heading to D.C. this upcoming weekend for my little sister’s move. I’m definitely ready for a change of pace but I am coming to the realization that I get more done the busier I stay. This weekend I went to a retreat with Crissy and some of her other clients in Kure Beach. It was a truly transformative weekend!
This weekend felt a bit like the final stroke in my painting. I’m finally able to stand back from Crissy’s teachings at Holistic Restoration and see the whole picture. I know that I will never be done working on myself, but I have to rejoice in this small accomplishment. I am now concentrating on taking the concepts into my everyday life. It was amazing to meet such awesome ladies that are also working on themselves. If you are looking for an amazing artist from NC, Kim Bardill is your lady!
6 Things That I’m Putting Into Practice (summarizing Crissy’s teachings in my own words)
- Your Emotions Are Your Own Responsibility. No one can make you feel anything. If you are hurt or feel that you were treated poorly, this is simply a reflection of some unspoken agreement that you thought you made with that person OR it is an opportunity for you to speak up for yourself. I get the most upset about situations in the past when I haven’t taken that opportunity to speak my truth.
- Writing Down Your Vision Helps To Create It. It is difficult for most of us to hold the essence of what we want to happen in our minds over and over without writing it down. If you write down your 30, 60 or 90 day vision, you’re more likely to reach it (or something better).
- If You Focus On It, It* Will Happen. I am taking Crissy’s advice and reading my Vision Statement in the morning after I wake up and just before I go to bed. Keeping this information in the front of my mind will help me to see the opportunities that arise throughout the day that I might have otherwise overlooked. It’s just like when you get a new car that you’ve never owned before. You start noticing that EVERYONE seems to have the same car as you – but you never noticed it before! We just need to wake our minds up to the opportunities that are right in front of us. *or something better
- Waking Up 30 Minutes Early Makes All The Difference. I came across this on my own. I am your classic night owl, not wanting to miss anything that’s going on…and then sleeping in to the very last minute. All before I have to crawl out of bed in the morning and proceed to sprint. If you’d said a year ago that I would be excited to see a sunrise or that I would enjoy having extra time to make a delicious breakfast (and eat it) at home before work I’d tell you that you were NUTS. Since I’ve been practicing this, I’ve noticed that it sets up my day for success in a way that nothing else does. I’m not making decisions out of time restraints, I’m making the best decision for me at the time. I bet if you try this out for a week (you’ll have to force yourself to go to bed early enough to get the proper hours of sleep), you’ll see the fruits of your labor by the end of the week!
- Everyone Is Basically Good. I have always felt this to be true. Sometimes when I would live in my habitual victim stories, I would think that someone wasn’t a “good person”, but I now realize that they were just making me uncomfortable by making me feel like I needed to speak up for myself. We can’t all be from the same “tribe”, so if you expect something of someone, you have to communicate that. Example: My parents have always made a big deal out of birthdays. When I met my husband, I didn’t understand why he wasn’t making me feel as special as my Mom does on my special day. His family doesn’t do birthdays in the same way that mine does (and he doesn’t care if people do much for his), so we had to communicate about this to understand what we both wanted.
- Live (And Rejoice!) In The Now. If you look at everything that happens in your life as an opportunity to learn, you will realize how amazing (and often how funny) this world is. You’ll also realize that you are coming across the same issues over and over until you deal with whatever it is.
I’ll leave you with a beautiful picture from my morning sunrise run on the beach this past Sunday morning. It started as a yucky day and turned into one of the prettiest days this month!